Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Seasons of the Soul

Our souls go through seasons of change just as the year goes through seasons of change.  I was reminded of this today as I sat soaking in the warm air coming through my open patio door, listening to the birds chirping away in only the 2nd full week of March.  Last year, we were praying for the snow to finally melt.  This year, we are enjoying the bliss of an early spring. All I can say is, bring it on! :)

While I enjoy the beauty of this day, I reflect on the seasons of the soul.  One of the portions of Scripture that has come to mean even more to me in these recent months is Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8.

      To everything, there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven.
      A time to be born, and a time to die;
      A time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which was planted
      A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up
      A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance 
      A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
      A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing
      A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away
      A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silent, and a time to speak
      A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

These, in short, are the seasons of the soul, written beautifully by a man who had lived all of them, tried everything, and finally came to realize that God was all He really needed -- the wisest man who ever lived, King Solomon.

My soul has endured many seasons during these past months as we have longed, loved, lost, done it all over again, and continued to dwell in the peace that passes all understanding.  We may not ever understand why we had to go through the things we have, but we will always know that God never left our sides, and He ALWAYS has a purpose and a plan.  Our biggest cry and prayer through all of this has been that our loss and pain would be used for His glory.  We have seen glimpses of his faithfulness in using our story already and pray that we would continue to be willing vessels to be used in the midst of some of the hardest days we have endured.

My body is almost back to normal, although I am still feeling effects of the medication I was given for the ectopic pregnancy.  My pregnancy hormone numbers are almost back down to zero, which means I will be allowed to do things again (I'm on a lot of restrictions to make sure my body heals the way it needs to.)  I am dealing with some kind of stomach virus (or residual effects of the medication) this week, so I've had to miss a couple days of work, but I am praying that I will be able to live my "normal" :) life again soon.  

As I enjoy the sunshine and warmth of a new spring day, I feel my soul beginning to awaken and change as the seasons of the soul begin to change once again.  I am excited to see where the next season leads and pray that I will handle whatever comes with humility, grace, and love for my Jesus, who has never left me, and continues to carry me through everything that comes.

Now, to Him, who is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages world without end.    Ephesians 3:20

0 comments:

Post a Comment